Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Filling for Double Chocolate Tart



Just to make things more confusing I am posting this filling separate from the dough recipe. And to boot, my tasters didn't like the short dough I made and previously posted. "It tasted like cardboard," they complained. And I have to agree. So here is the filling and I am researching some sweet chocolate doughs to go along with it. If you have one, that's what I recommend using. And save the short dough for some sort of pie. The recipe is from Tamasin Day-Lewis' Art of the Tart by way of Simon Hopkinson. The resulting filling is much like a dark chocolate mousse. YUM!

2 eggs
3 yolks
1 1/2 oz. sugar
3 oz. unsalted butter
7 oz. of bittersweet chocolate (this should be really dark and really good. I used 65%, but I think 70 or 75% would be better).

Melt butter in a small saucepan on the stove. Begin to melt chocolate over a double boiler on the stove. When it is almost ready add the melted butter to the double boiler. Whip the eggs and sugar in a stand mixer with a whisk until light and fluffy (at least five minutes). When the butter and chocolate mixture is fully melted it is okay to take it off the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Reducing its temperature will prevent it from knocking too much air from the eggs when it is mixed in. With the mixer on low pour on the chocolate in a steady stream. Take the bowl off the mixer and give a few good folds by hand with a spatula. Pour this mix into the tart shell and bake it for five minutes at 325 F. Cool and serve.

No comments: