Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chocolate Short Dough

I have a goal of posting one recipe per month. It's not a lot, but I rarely visit this site. So here goes working towards a goal. I am teaching pastry courses right now and I thought I'd upload some of the recipes we are working with in class. The following is a double chocolate tart I am tinkering with at the moment. It is a combination of a few recipes from Tamasin Day-Lewis' Art of the Tart. Yesterday I prepared the chocolate short dough and today I will roll it out and make the filling. Here is the short dough recipe.



4 oz. or 1 cup All purpose flour
2 tsp. good dark cocoa powder
1 heaping tsp icing sugar
2 oz or 4 Tbs. cold butter cut into small cubes
1 egg yolk
1 to 2 Tbs. cold water
Sift the dry ingredients together into the bowl of a food processor. Add the cubes of butter and pulse the machine briefly until the butter becomes incorporated and broken into smaller than pea sized chunks. Add the egg yolk and 1 Tbs. cold water (add ice cubes to the water if necessary). Run the processor briefly. If needed add another Tbs. of water. The dough will darken although it may not seem to come together. Simply open the food processor and press the dough with your hands. If it comes together, it is ready. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour. I will post the finishing steps and some photos later!

No comments: